How to select apples?
Choose firm, shiny, smooth-skinned (without bruises) apples with stems still intact.
The apple should smell fresh and not musty.
How to store apples?
Refrigerate apples in a plastic bag and away from strong-smelling food. Apples soften fast at room temperature so avoid doing it. Use within 3 weeks.
Fat free; saturated fat free; sodium free; cholesterol free; high source of dietary fibre
Types of Apples
- Royal Beauty Apple – The Royal Beauty Apple is round and dark red in colour.
- Gala Apple – The Gala Apple is red in colour with a portion being greenish or yellow greenish.
- Cripps Red Apple – The Crisp Red Apple is red in colour with white lenticels spots, smooth and russet around stalk. It has a medium conical to squarish shape with crisp and juicy flesh.
- Fuji Apple – The Fuji Apple which is originally an apple clone from Japan, has a lovely pink speckled flush over a yellow-green background. It is firm, crisp and juicy with lots of flavour.
- Granny Smith Apple – The Granny Smith Apple is covered with a striking bright green skin that is crispy and juicy.